Finding Teacher Resources: Content
REFERENCE BOOKS: HANDBOOKS, ENCYCLOPEDIAS, AND MORE...
Hundreds of dictionaries, encyclopedias, fact books, guides, companions and more from respected publishers across dozens of major subject areas, including many notable titles for education. Full text is linked directly in the database.
BOOKS: USING ENCOMPASS SEARCH
Encompass Search finds information by searching through a massive collection of books, scholarly journals, newspapers and magazines, dissertations, conference proceedings, music, video, maps, and more.
To find only books, use the Books limit on the left sidebar of your search results page. Many items will be in Trexler Library; note the call number and status of the item to check its location and availability. For items not in Trexler Library, use the Interlibrary Loan to request a copy from another library.
Finding Teacher Resources: Pedagogy
- Social Education
Availability: 1950-October 2014
Location: Per. 307 (Level B)
- Social Studies and the Young Learner ***
Location: Per 372.83 (Level B)
Premier database of scholarly and professional journals, books, documents, and more in education and related areas. Some full text is linked directly in the database; otherwise, use the Check for Full Text buttons to check for full text online or in the library.
To narrow your search results to just classroom activity resources, consider two possible approaches. Neither is comprehensive, so it's likely best to try both.
- Add terms to your searches that describe classroom activities (e.g., "lesson plans" or "classroom activities").
- Limit your searches by "publication type" in the search options (below the search boxes on the search screen). The following publication types may be relevant:
- Guides - Classroom - Learners -- Materials intended for direct instruction of the learner; materials presenting the substantive information that forms the content of instruction, e.g., instructional materials, readings, programmed texts, manuals, laboratory manuals, outlines, texts, workbooks, syllabi, study guides, orientation materials, textbooks, handbooks, exercises, learning modules, problems, resource guides.
- Guides - Classroom - Teacher -- Materials intended as guides for the teacher, e.g. curriculum guides, course outlines, units of study, lesson plans, teaching guides, leader guides, statements of behavioral objectives. May contain instructional materials, sample examinations, suggested learning activities, etc. Includes teaching tips, teaching techniques, "How to Teach" materials.
- Guides - General -- Materials designed for immediate and practical use by students, teachers, or administrative or support personnel. "General" is used only when material does not fit a more specific sub-category.
Finding Student Resources: Textbooks
Trexler Library owns a selection of student textbooks. These are located in the Curriculum on level C of the library, close to the Curriculum Lab. It's likely best to browse the shelves in the Curriculum Lab. Alternately, to search for items in this collection, use Encompass Search, accessible from the library homepage. To limit your search results to just Curriculum Lab items, go to the Advanced Search screen. Add b8:Curriculum Lab in the first row; keep the drop-down at Keyword. Then add another word or words describing your subject area to the other row(s).
Finding Student Resources: Children's and Young Adult Books
Trexler Library owns a wide selection of children's and young adult books. These are located in the Juvenile Collection on level C of the library, close to the Curriculum Lab. To search for items in this collection, use Encompass Search or the Library Catalog.
- Encompass Search is accessible from the library homepage; choose the tab labeled Encompass Search. To limit your search results to just Juvenile Collection items, go to the Advanced Search screen. Add b8:Juvenile Collection in the first row; keep the drop-down at Keyword. Then add another word or words describing your subject area to the other row(s).
Finding Student Resources: Selected Magazines and Websites
- Great Websites for Kids (American Library Association)
- Kids Discover (for student resources, see especially Infographics, Spotlights, and Quick Reads)
An interdisciplinary database with scholarly and popular sources. Some full text is linked directly in the database; otherwise, use the Check for Full Text buttons to check for full text online or in the library. Some children's interest magazines are included, such as:
Finding Standards Information
This website provides a list of standards by topic: http://www.educationworld.com/standards/national/soc_sci/index.shtml
STANDARDS FOR SOCIAL STUDIES UNITS
1. National Center for History in the Schools
National Standards for History
2. National Council of Social Studies
National Standards for Social Studies
Ask Dr. Wolfmeyer for a copy
3. Center for Civic Education
National Standards for Civics and Government
4. National Geographic Society
National Geography Standards
5. National Council on Economic Education
National Economic Standards – K-4
6. Pennsylvania Department of Education
Your topic will likely be under History, Economics or Civics and Government
STANDARDS FOR SCIENCE UNITS
1. National Academy of Sciences
National Science Education Standards
2. Pennsylvania Department of Education
PA Standards for Environment and Ecology
3. Pennsylvania Department of Education
PA Standards for Science
STANDARDS FOR MATH UNITS
1. Common Core Standards for Math
2. National Council of Teachers of Math
Principles and Standards for School Mathematics
Need help with your research?
Social Sciences Reference Librarian