Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Need help with your research?
Search Google Scholar for Articles
Hundreds of authoritative dictionaries, encyclopedias, fact books, guides, companions and more from respected publishers across dozens of major subject areas.
Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan
The Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan is a comprehensive English-language encyclopedia first published in 1983 that covers a broad range of topics on Japan. The encyclopedia was created by both Japanese (680) and non-Japanese scholars (524) from 27 nations. Japanese scholars produced 40 percent of the text, while foreign scholars wrote the remaining 60 percent. Japanese and American scholars wrote the majority of the articles.
Location: Trexler Library Main Collection Call # 952 K76
Authoritative Secondary Commentary in Books
Encompass Search searches for books and other resources, first in our own library, and then beyond, in other research libraries.
Cambridge History of Japan
A scholarly book series documenting the history of Japan from early times to the present day.
Academic Search Complete
A database of both scholarly and popular publications in a wide variety of disciplines and subject areas, including psychology. Most full text is linked directly in the database; otherwise use the Check for Full Text buttons to check for full text online or in the library.
An open-access web crawler that looks for content it identifies as "scholarly." Emphasis is on books and journal articles. Intended as a "federated search" to search across disciplines (weighted toward sciences and social sciences). Not always full text. Check our Journal Locator (see above) to see if Muhlenberg has access to the full text.
Historical Abstracts with Full Text
Provides indexing, abstracts, and selected full text of articles appearing in history journals, with emphasis on world history from 1450 to present (excluding the U.S. and Canada which are covered in America: History and Life). It includes citations to books, journal articles, and dissertations.
A substantive archive of about 3,000 full text scholarly journals plus scholarly books in the arts, humanities, social sciences and biological sciences. As an archive, there is typically a lag time of 3-5 years from publication until new issues appear in JSTOR. Journals include core titles from a variety of disciplines: history, economics, biology, and more.
Articles and books via interlibrary loan