The Common Read at Muhlenberg College unites the community around a common reading.
Goals of the program:
- Provide a common intellectual experience for the Muhlenberg campus.
- Promote academic discourse through critical reading and the exchange of ideas.
- Foster a sense of community among students, faculty and staff.
- Integrate an academic and social experience into the campus community.
- Provide an introduction to the expectations of higher education.
- Encourage students to read beyond textbooks.
Past Common Read selections:
- 2019: Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
- 2018: Swing Time by Zadie Smith
- 2017: Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
The Common Read program is sponsored by the Provost's Office and Student Affairs.