Skip to Main Content

Public Performance Rights (PPR) for video at Trexler Library

Getting video with PPR

Do you want to show a film to a 'public' audience outside of the classroom?

Are you trying to set up a film festival or 'movie night'?

If so... you will probably need to secure the rights to do so!

Obtaining public performance rights (PPR) or a public performance license for a film is relatively easy. Contact Trexler Library staff by email or phone and we will help make the necessary arrangements.

While fees vary, they are generally between $200-400 per showing. 

Please be aware: Showing unlicensed media, whether borrowed from the library or rented, purchased, or streamed, to groups outside of the face-to-face classroom may be illegal, and may place the offending party and college at legal risk.  This guide is intended to provide information and resources about Public Performance Rights for screening film media within and outside of the classroom at Muhlenberg.

Please see the remaining pages to help you determine if and when you will need to arrange for PPR.

Portions of this guide are based, with permission, on the Public Performance Rights for Screening Media page from University of Kansas, and the Obtaining public performance licenses for films page from Lafayette College.